Friday, April 16, 2010

Adventures of an Insomniac....

...I know I have spoken on this topic before...a LOT...but it is a BIG part of my life and has been for years. Actually, it has been a part of my life as long as I can remember. Not sleeping is a pretty miserable thing. I mean, how many re-runs of "The Golden Girls" can one watch without going into Sarcasm Overload? I find myself walking and talking like Bea Arthur and longing to wear really long sweaters and big chunky jewelry, and it just doesn't work for a number of reasons. LOL, #1. I am about 2 feet shorter than Bea Arthur. #2. I look HORRIBLE in Cable Knit, and #3. I just CANNOT work that puffy grey hair! Anyhoo, as you may have seen from my previous postings, at the urging of my medical doctor, who apparently fears for my sanity (HAHA, which unbeknownst to him has been LONG GONE) urged me to see a psychiatrist for my insomnia AND my depression. Depression you may ask? YESSSSSSS. I have been on nearly EVERY mood stabilizer known to man and have never seen a psychiatrist. LOL, my family MD had always just written them for me, and when I felt better, or didn't feel any different, or for no particular reason quit taking them....they wrote for a new one....so, off to the psychiatrist I go. I know, I know...big GULP moment and NOT in the 7-11 kind of way, but I was at the point of doing whatever will keep me out of the nut house...well, the KIND of nut house that I don't pay a mortgage on. OK, so, the first visit with her went pretty well. She put me on Ambien to help me sleep and Topamax which started out as a seizure medication, but has a multitude of other uses, "Mood Stabilizer" being one of them, and I did great for about 3 weeks. Then the insomnia started back....I think it is just a part of me....I don't think there is a cure....BUT after many nights of NOT sleeping I got about 6 hours last night, and I am so thankful for it! I'm going to go for 2 nights in a row! Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment